Saturday 20 June 2015

Dark Lightning by Bethany L. Brown


"Everyone should know by now that it is the quiet one's you have to watch out for."

Firstly a huge thank you to Bethany for sending me a copy of this book for review. This is a perfect example of where you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. I'm one of those people where a cover is what draws me in and I nearly overlooked this book which would've been a shame cos I did enjoy this one. The only other elemental type book that i've read is the elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer and I was keen to get my hands on some more. Add to the fact that this book is set in a boarding school with an infuriating but oh so good looking boy and I was sold, I just had to read it.

Ava Sparks is a spunky 17 year old girl who lives in Louisiana. On her 17th birthday she discovers that her parents aren't really her parents and that she is an elemental who is able to control lightning. She is the only elemental alive who can do this and this makes her extremely dangerous and sought after. On the night of her 17th birthday she is approached by the headmaster of a boarding school for elementals and soon finds herself at the boarding school making new friends and powerful enemies. The headmaster Ms Masters is an evil woman who wants to build an army of elementals to wipe out the human race and she wants Ava and Nate to be her star warriors. This then forces the world of elementals to decide which side they are going to stand on.

The story was really good and interesting and definitely had me hooked for the most part especially in the middle. I loved all the banter that went on between the many characters but at times the conversations could feel a bit off. Sometimes the characters voices flowed as seventeen year olds but then sometimes they seemed younger or far, far older than they were. Nate played the cocky, frustrating love interest very well. One minute you really liked him and then the next you were wanting to slap him over the head. I also really enjoyed Harper and Maddox. It was interesting to read about the elementals and what they could do especially the whole lightning and darkness element. The story did seem rushed at times especially in the first few chapters but then there were other parts that kind of dragged on a little bit. Overall I did enjoy reading this one and will definitely keep an eye out for any further books written by Bethany L Brown.

3 out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment