Friday 7 August 2015

Modern Monsters by Kelley York



Sometimes that's all I need: a reminder that the world isn't going to implode if I take a few extra moments to formulate each word as I speak.

I was so excited to finally be able to read this story and unfortunately that initial build up just led to me being a little dare I say disappointed. This book had a fantastic idea. There are a lot of books out there that deal with the sensitive issue of rape but usually the story is told from the victims point of view. In Mondern Monsters however the story is told by Vic, the boy who is wrongly accused of being the rapist.

I should start by saying I did enjoy this book I just also had a few issues with it. The first main issue I had was with Vic. I couldn't form any kind of a connection with him. For me he wasn't a character that I really liked and I didn't really get what Autumn saw in him. I'm sorry but that's just how I felt. I did feel bad for him and everything that he went through but I was more sad about his situation not Vic himself.

The other main issue I had with the story was the predictability. From the get go it was obvious why his mum was how she was and I also picked who raped Callie from the start as well. Sometimes in a book you don't mind the predictability but I spent most of Modern Monsters just waiting for the characters to catch on.

Like I said despite it's issues I did enjoy it as a read. I felt that Autumn was definitely a stand out character and she really made the book for me. I also quite enjoyed the Amjad appearances and would've liked to have seen him play maybe a more fatherly role to Vic. They touched on it a little bit especially towards the end but I feel like it could've added something a little extra. I shouldn't have built this up in my mind so much before reading it but it is what it is. The story had a lot of potential and was a good book I was just wanting something a little more from it.

3 out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment