Thursday 17 September 2015

I Was Here by Gayle Forman



This story starts off with a bang and instantly breaks your heart when you read Meg's suicide note:

I regret to inform you that I have had to take my own life. This decision has been a long time coming,  and was mine alone to make. I know it will cause you pain, and for that I am sorry, but please know that I needed to end my own pain. This has nothing to do with you and everything to do with me. It's not your fault.
Meg

It's been a long time since i've picked up a Gayle Forman book and I had completely forgotten just how beautiful her writing is. Her stories are so easy to read and this book was just as fantastic as all her previous books. I liked how all of the friendships and relationships played out and that they weren't just forced on us. The characters were very well defined and they all had their likable moments even the slightly ruder characters like Tree. I wish we could have seen a little more from Richard and was half hoping for a love story between him and Cody. In saying that though I am happy with Cody's relationship choice and how that all played out.

Suicide can often be a very hard thing to write about and it can be hard to get that balance correct so that you don't end out offending anybody. I think that Gayle Forman wrote Cody and Meg's story really, really well. It's such a tough subject and I honestly found myself getting so upset while reading this. To see not only Cody and Ben's grief and guilt but also the grief of the family was just so hard to read about. I got so angry when I was reading about the Final Solution boards and the encouragement on those boards. It really sickens me to think that this is something that could be happening right now online somewhere.

If you haven't already be sure to check out not only this book by Gayle Forman but also her previous books as i've loved every one of them. I can't wait to see what she will be releasing next and whatever it is I can guarantee that I will be picking it up.

4 out of 5 Stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment