Friday 11 September 2015

You by Caroline Kepnes



Sometimes, you just want to go where it's dark, you know.

This book was unlike anything that I have read in a very, very long time. I'm struggling to find all the right words to describe just how this book made me feel. For starters it absolutely creeped me out. Going into this book the main word i'd been hearing to describe it was creepy and I completely agree. After finishing it I would sum it up by saying yeah it's very creepy. Not only is it creepy but Caroline Kepnes also leaves you questioning your own sanity and morals. I mean Joe is a creepy, messed up dude who has no problems with killing people and stalking people and yet I feel sorry for him! How, how is it that you become attached to a character like Joe. How is it that you get so caught up in his emotions that you have to stop yourself from cheering for him because as much as he sucks you in at the end of the day he is still a creepy creeper pervert.

This story was made up by a host of unlikable characters and yet you can't put the book down. I thought that Beck was a terrible character and as messed up as it sounds I couldn't understand why Joe was so obsessed with her. There were so many moments where I thought he was going to realise this but he didn't and I dunno I just didn't find her to be all that stalkable. Which is probably a messed up way of thinking right but that's just how this book get's you thinking. This book also makes you incredibly paranoid. It took me a few days to get through this and I swear just about every male I came across was in my mind a potential Joe. In fact the day I started reading this a guy came up to our office and because we are doing constructions at the office I was on my own and internally I was freaking out and thinking oh my god is this guy a Joe.

I have mixed feelings about the writing and the progression of the story. It took a bit to get used to and I think at first I found the writing to be a bit too clinical. As the story went on though I got used to the writing style and I found it to be very dark and almost poetic like. I'm not ashamed to admit that there was quite a few references that went right over my head and the twitter speak took a bit to get used to. Once you get past those minor things though this really is a fantastic read. The story for the most part was well paced but it did lose me a bit around the Karen and Nicky part. I think the story could've progressed fine without all that extra carry on. I loved the ending and I can not wait to get my hands on Hidden Bodies. There aren't a lot of books that I buy as soon as they are released but I have a feeling that Hidden Bodies will be one of them.

4 out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment