Thursday 15 October 2015

On The Edge by Allison Van Diepen



I'd love each scar, each burn, and take his hurt as my own. And hopefully my love could heal the wounds that time wouldn't erase.

I went into this book with pretty high expectations cos when I first came across it, it instantly reminded me of Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles. Having now finished this book I wouldn't quite put it up as high as Perfect Chemistry but I tell you what it isn't far behind it. This book was so easy to read and I often found it hard to put down. It raised a very good question. Would you step in to save someone if it meant that you yourself would be in harms way and if you couldn't save them would you testify even though it meant that your life would then be in danger. I live and work in two rather dodgy areas and you do see things and as much as you would like to think that you could step in and save a persons life there is always that big risk that you yourself could die.

I thought that Maddie was very brave to not only identify the two gang members but also to testify against them. It did surprise me that she was out walking alone at that time of night to begin with and that she continued to walk around alone at that time of night after the murder. I'm weary just walking out the front of my house to the bin or the car once it gets dark. I definitely wouldn't be walking around alone in the dark. I really liked both Maddie and Ortiz as characters and enjoyed the additional characters of Eric, Julia and of course Manny. There weren't too many surprises throughout the book. I mean it was obvious who Lobo was and later on it was obvious who the traitor was but I wasn't disappointed at all when it was being revealed. 

I have to say I really enjoyed this book and I will definitely be checking out some of Allison Van Diepen's other books. I can see that the companion novel to On The Edge is being released next month so I will definitely be picking that up.

4 out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment