Thursday 1 October 2015

What If by Rebecca Donovan



Sometimes I wish I could be everything i'm not. Spontaneous. Adventurous. Just do something because it's fun. Not care what anyone thinks about how I look. How I act. Just be.... me.

That is a thought that I have running through my head so often especially because I have a friend who is so carefree just like Nyelle. I must admit I did enjoy this book but the writing did throw me off at times. There was quite a few occasions where I was having to go back and re-read whole sentences or paragraphs because to me it wasn't quite reading properly. I think that Rebecca Donovan did a really good job though with the way that the story chopped and changed from the present to the past. Often times when books do this it drives me crazy and takes away from the story but I didn't seem to have that problem with this book. 

I can't really pinpoint exactly how I felt about the two main characters. It's not that I didn't like them but at the same time they didn't really blow me away. Cal could be quite frustrating and just let everybody walk all over him which I didn't like. Nyelle was a very fun character who clearly cared about others but then it could be contradictory at times as we saw the way that she would treat Cal. I liked the flashbacks to their childhood and it really helped us to understand the character's and how they got to where they are now. At about 77% of the way in I realised why Nicole had become Nyelle and although I was right with my theory when the big reveal did come it didn't take away anything from the story. 

This was my first Rebecca Donovan book even though I have gone to pick up her Breathing series before. Having now read What If I will definitely go back and pick up the Breathing series. I would recommend this book but could also understand where some people may have some frustrations with it.

3 out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment